Thursday, May 31, 2012

Luna Bar-Blueberry Bliss Review


Hello! Today's review is the Lunabar Blueberry Bliss flavor. You've probably noticed a trend of a lot of nutrition bar reviews-I eat a lot of 'em! But I promise there's a lot more in store besides energy bars.
I bought this flavor along with a bunch of other bars. It's been a while since I had tasted an original Luna Bar (by Clif company) so I thought I'd give it a shot again.
Since the last time I had a Luna Bar, the wrapper has changed design. The writing is smaller and a different font as well. It's only changed on a few flavors, though.



Outside:
 Nutrition:
 Inside:
My first reaction when I opened it was "Wow! A lot going on for a bar!" I didn't expect the purple blueberry topping (colored by red cabbage extract), the icing, and the oats on top.
I liked the texture of the bar. The "crisps" that made up the bar were chewy as a whole, but had a crunch to them too. The texture was a lot like that of a Rice Krispy treat. The bar can easily be pulled apart and bended if you try, but is pretty firm overall.
The taste was very sweet! Although it tasted good and not artificial, the vanilla flavor overtook the blueberry too much in my opinion. I took a bite of the blueberry topping alone and it had a subtle tang, and tasted like blueberry jam, which I like! If the bar was simply described as being vanilla with a mild fruity topping, I would have enjoyed the bar more. But the vanilla coating was just too overpowering, considering the name, "Blueberry Bliss". The oats at the top were good for decoration, but I didn't really taste them. Again, I mainly tasted the strong vanilla coating. It wasn't bad though, and I had no difficulty finishing it!

My take:
Nutrition: 7.0/10 (a fair amount of sugar)
Taste: 7.0/10 (I expected more of a blueberry taste)
Appearance: 8.5/10 (I like the bright wrapping and purple topping color)

Overall: 7.5/10


Pros: Crispy texture; tart blueberry topping; 8 grams of protein; pleases a sweet tooth; all-natural
Cons: Too much vanilla flavor; a lot of sugar; not much of a blueberry flavor

No comments:

Post a Comment